- Uses the ninja tool, "Shihei". Creates shadow images that each absorb a single attack directed at you.
Casting Time: 4 seconds
Resale Price: ???~??? gil
How to Obtain
- You receive (3) shadow images when Ninja is either your Main Job or Support Job.
- With each shadow that is taken, a small amount of player enmity is lost.
- Recast Utsusemi during fight when second shadow disappears for continued coverage.
- Casting Utsusemi: Ichi while Ichi shadows remain overwrites with three new shadow images. However, casting Utsusemi: Ichi will not overwrite shadows remaining from Utsusemi: Ni. Casting Utsusemi: Ichi while shadows remain from Utsusemi: Ni will cause Utsusemi: Ichi to have no effect.
- If you are currently under the effect of Slow, recast time is 45 seconds instead of the normal 30 seconds.
- As of the June 21, 2010 update, the Utsusemi icon will have the number of shadows remaining in the lower-right corner.
- Wearing Iga Kyahan +2 Gives the Ninja (4) shadows instead of (3).
- Utsusemi means "Cicada", an insect that sheds a brittle, lifelike shell. It's a rather artistic meaning when one considers the spells' use.
- The tool for this spell, "Shihei", means paper soldier. This alludes, presumably, to a paper decoy.
- "Utsusemi" can also be translated roughly into being able to transfer something. In this case, the something is damage. "Shihei" or "toy soldiers" is the item used to transfer the damage.
- "Utsusemi" can also be translated to "Projection." Which makes sense to the Ninjutsu since you "project" three to four images of yourself to protect yourself.